Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cinderella--Then and Now

 

(see related post  And They Lived Happily Ever)

by Robin Holland

 Then my father was alive
     rich and and powerful in my eyes
     loving  
     protective.

Now he is gone--leaving behind
    the family that he couldn't see
    didn't want me.

 Then I was the fire burning in his eyes
    the light of his life.

Now I am covered in ashes
    of a dying fire.

Then I was dressed in rich fabrics
    elegant styles
    spoiled in reasonable luxury.

Now I wear the cast off rags,
    hand-me-down
    robes of hate and disdain.

Then I was loved and I loved.
Now I am used and abused.

Then I was... Now I am not
...until...

Somebody
redressed me
refined me
redefined me

and sent me to the ball.

Somebody
danced with me
saw me
heard me.

Now I am rich and powerful in his eyes
in my eyes.

I am alive still
alive anew.












No comments:

Post a Comment